mom-mode post #150 – on making granola
August 19, 2011 § 1 Comment
Hey there! Anybody there?
Sorry it’s been a while. I’ve meant to write but… I could go on to bore you with some lame excuse about lack of time, homework and moving boxes, but I won’t. Instead, this week I’ll be sharing a serious of posts of what I’ve been on working. Hope it will inspire you some!
Today I’m making granola. From scratch. You can find some type of granola here but it usually has some kind of dried fruit that just ruins the whole experience for me. I like my granola nutty and vanilla-y.
A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she was making some granola. I immediately asked for the recipe and much to my delight, it involved no dried fruit. It is delicious I tell you! Especially when you can get a hold of some blueberries — a rare but most joyous occasion around these parts of the world!
Here’s the recipe:
- 12 cups old fashioned oats
- 3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup oil
- 3/4 cup honey
- 6 Tbls sugar
- 4 Tbls vanilla
- Preheat to 300 degrees F.
- Line oven trays with parchment paper
- Mix first 5 ingredients in large bowl
- Combine oil, honey and sugar in small saucepan; simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour hot liquid over oat mixture; stir well.
- Using hands, toss mixture until thoroughly mixed.
- Spread granola on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
The smell of vanilla baking will fill up the entire house! And it makes a lot. I only had enough oats for half a recipe and it still made tons.
While on the subject of food and recipes, have you heard of www.pepperplate.com? It is ewonderful, I tell you! If you’ve looked for a way to organize your recipes but haven’t found it, this is it! I am in the process of putting all of my recipes on there. They’re app is really great too, I would change a few things, but mostly I like it.